Friday, July 29, 2016

"Only with the heart can one see clearly,...

...what is essential is invisible to the eye."  *

I recently saw first-hand how people in many other countries can more easily see Kumon for what it truly is: not a tutoring program, but a blessing, a privilege, and a huge opportunity not afforded to all.

Two weeks ago I was in Mexico where I attended an international Kumon instructors conference with hundreds of instructors from all over North America.  What I saw and heard amazed me:
My son Ben and I visiting the ruins of Tulum.
He's been doing Kumon since he was 4 years old.
I heard stories of instructors who overcame incredible obstacles in order to bring the Kumon program into their communities.  They fought so hard because they believed it will literally change their society for the better and move their country forward.

I heard about so many families that had to work extra hard in order to be able to afford to send their children to Kumon.  And they did it because they believed that it will allow them to have the future that all parents dream for their children.  

I have to be honest and say that I hadn't seen this so clearly until now.  I definitely always have believed that it is my privilege to serve my community and make an impact on children here in Norman.  But what I saw in Mexico was so much bigger and more profound.  

When I heard the following quote, I thought of so many of my own students... "It is precisely because a country's citizens individually develop their potential that the country as a whole grows strong and prosperous. Any society or country's strength is, after all, the sum of the abilities of the people that live there. This is why we can say that developing the powers and ability of the individual is nothing other than contributing to the prosperity and well-being of the society and country of these individuals".   

What a blessing it was to travel to Mexico to see how most of the world views the value of the Kumon method.  And I am so blessed to work with so many families here in Norman, Oklahoma that truly see Kumon for what it is.

I am profoundly honored to be able to say that I am working to help children become better citizens of this great country and of the world.

It is hardly believable that two days after I returned from Mexico, this was the fortune cookie that I got when I went to lunch:


How mysterious and awe-inspiring!

All the best,

Mauricio Maruri
Kumon of Norman
http://www.kumon.com/how-kumon-works

*  From The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupery (which also happens to be in the Kumon Recommended Reading List).  One of my favorite quotes of all time because it speaks to what's important in life.  I often recommend this book to our students at the Kumon center.

No comments:

Post a Comment