Tuesday, March 8, 2016

You don't normally expect an 11-year-old to write a poem so beautiful.

But when we begin developing our children's love of reading early on, amazing things can happen.
There is much we can do as parents to help our kids be the best they can be.
I hope you will enjoy this poem and be inspired:


I am Green
by Kendall Landis (written at age 11)

Exciting as the first summer day
I am leaves rustling on a sunny afternoon
I am a bee’s wings,
Buzzing into its hive
I am a frog,
Bouncing over the plush undergrowth
I am gritty, grimy, gross,
Green
I am a sour green apple,
Hanging,
Waiting to be picked
I am the small, sharp prick of a thorn
I am Green
I am the vibrant, green grass
I am excitement,
Jumping up & down with the feeling of joy
I am shyness,
The young child hiding behind Daddy’s leg
I am bravery,
Standing strong when havoc is wrought
I am hatred,
The feeling of madness when hurt or ignored
The essence that brings all life together,

I am Green
----------------------------------

Thank you Kendall for sharing this vivid poem with me.  Just in time for Saint Patrick's day!
And thank you Joshua and Manar (Kendall's parents) for allowing us to publish it to the world.  It has been such a pleasure to serve you all these years and see your children grow and develop their skills and their confidence.

Let's see how far they can go!

Sincerely,

Mauricio Maruri

4 comments:

  1. We owe a lot to Kumon. Kendall started reading at a very early age. He was reading chapter books by age 5 and was very fast reader. when I first signed him up in Kumon, I was counting the days until he reads. And when it happened, I never noticed it because it was so gradual that we just noticed that Kendall read on his own and did not need us to read to him any more. Then, books became Kendall's best friends. Kendall's best time is listening to music while reading. I give Kumon big credit that I am following the same path with Jonah.
    Manar Landis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super nice and creative!! Congratulation Kendall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem! Great job Kendall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful poem! Great job Kendall!

    ReplyDelete