Wednesday, February 3, 2016

How does one Measure Potential?

"All Children have the Potential and the ability to learn beyond expectations."

Here, in Norman, I can say I believe this with all my heart, not from some philosophical perspective, but because I notice it every day in my students.   And it is also true that "pursuing our potential for learning improves our overall capacity as human beings."   I see this as I watch my students grow academically and develop a noticeable confidence in what they can do and who they are.  And this confidence affects all areas of their lives in a very positive and palpable manner.

One of the ways we actually measure how much our students are achieving is by having an Academic Honor Roll and setting as a goal that it should be achieved by as many students as possible.

Kumon students who achieve the Academic Honor Roll embody the essence and final goal of the Kumon Program:  to be confident students with strong academic skills performing at a high level in their schools.  They are well prepared for Advanced High School work and for Advanced Placement (AP classes).

So today we celebrate all who have achieved this latest edition of the Kumon Academic Honor Roll.  I am so proud of you!  Your dedication and hard work is paying off now and it will DEFINITELY pay off even more in the future!

And to those current students who have not yet achieved it, lets continue working towards it, setting goals, aiming high and reaching for your potential.  I am proud of every single one of you.

                       Keep up the good work!
                            Your Kumon Instructor,
                                       Mauricio Maruri


*The quotations above were uttered by Toru Kumon many years ago, but they still guide and inspire thousands of Kumon Instructors around the world, including me.

No comments:

Post a Comment